Friday, February 12, 2010

Another Kennedy seat up for grabs

This time it's Patrick Kennedy's House seat.

Rhode Island Democratic Rep. Patrick Kennedy will retire after eight terms in office, bringing an end to his House career just months after his father, legendary Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, passed away.

"My father instilled in me a deep commitment to public service," Kennedy said in a video announcing his retirement. "Now having spent two decades in politics, my life has taken a new direction and I will not be a candidate for re-election this year."

And for those of you who enjoy a bit of schadenfreude, there is this:
Patrick Kennedy's retirement means that for the first time in nearly five decades there will not be a member of the Kennedy family in Congress.

Somehow, I think the nation will manage to carry on.

1 comment:

  1. Congress without a Kennedy is like a cat-house without a Clinton.


    Lazy Libertarian

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger